Tuesday, July 14, 2009

July 14=Snow?






















I left hardin mt. this morning after a massive wind storm that had me take down my tent and snuggle up in the car, as most of the tenters did. No rain though which was nice for a change. On a day that did not reach 70 degrees, ( at 12:20 it was 58) I looked to the mountains and there it was, SNOW. Very strange. And as I found out later very rare. I traveled through Bozeman which is a great little college town. Set up like a 50s main street, the town is alive with hipster trendy shops, dive bars and upscale outfitter shops (gear, fishing, etc). I went to a great bar for lunch, Crystal Bar. The bartender, who errily looked and sounded like buffalo bill "put the lotion in the basket" said it was the last "good bar" in Bozeman. I certainly agree. The burger, the crystal classic, had ham on top. yumm, as well as 1.00 pabts blue ribbon. The woman who made my burger, the grill was next to the bar, said there has not been snow left in the mountains around Bozeman since 1992. And when I told her I was going to Glacier National Park in the next few days she said, "oh they had snow yesterday" oh boy. Rain, hail, wind, snow?! what is next, locusts. The town had free parking and a great feel, a mix of old and new. I have noticed that a lot of people in this part of the world still pay with checks, as a man a women did at the bar. Name a time you paid anything small with a check. I went into a store to get some supplies and a teenaged girl range me up with a name tag that read "bessie" wow.



I think I will be headed to Glacier National park tomorrow, which part I dont know, it is very large, hopefully the one without snow.




the pic of my car is the KOA site in Montana

1 comment:

  1. just watch out for bears. Did you check your pistol at the door? Put the lotion in the @$#$^ basket!!
    (oh yeah, she was one of those great big fat people, right)

    ReplyDelete