I got up very early to leave for Arches this morning, 5:30 and on the road by six, It took about 4 and 1/2 hours. I was a little tired from the KOA karaoke last night, yes, they had karaoke in the pavilion, those crazy mormons. It was a cool ride, zipping through the switchbacks of Utah at 8500ft with groves of tall birch trees. In Colorado the road was called stegosaurus highway, really. I did not have anyone in my lane, front or back, for about 200 miles, pretty amazing. The city of vernal is a neat one, the typical 40s/50s main street, but the town was so clean and they had american flags and huge arrangements of red, white and blue flowers about every 50 feet for a good mile, really cool. I saw a ford f350 towing a 25 ft boat with an over 20 foot camper, that cant be safe. Moab is so out of the way that I had to go to colorado to get there, now that is desolate, when you have to leave a state because there is no direct route. I saw a few wild horses today, that was cool. I got to moab and arches at about 10;30 and immediately went to the park, there were scattered thunderstorms, bummer for the pics, but great for the hiking, I went up to delicate arch and usually it is about 110, but a cool 75 degrees helped the three mile walk. The weather broke about 1 and I got some good pics. Arches is great, it looks like mars, although I have never been there, my ancestors have, but not me. There are a TON of foreigners, I would say 85% are here from France, Germany, and the far east, it is really crazy. Im gonna hang out tonight, hit canyonlands tomorrow, Arches is pretty small, and maybe hit a brew pub tomorrow night, although Utah has some crazy beer laws. You can only serve beer that has 3.2% or less, but you can get higher at a private "club" but that is a modified bar that has a one time "membership fee" of a few dollars. there are other crazy things that I will find out later. Oh and the people from Missoula are on to something they have beer here, bud and bud light with clamato, 24oz pounders, dont knock it until you try it.
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment