Monday, July 27, 2009

Canyonlands and Arches








































Today was a very hot day, it was still 97 at 8pm. I got up early and headed to canyonlands np. I got there about 8 and the place was empty. All except one guy who I was there first and kept following from place to place. The park is 530 sqaure miles and It felt like I was the only one there, it was great. It is like a mini grand canyon. It is about 25 miles from arches and gets about a tenth of the traffic, I thought it was better. I met a woman named esther who was traveling to rochester and we both have taken a similar route, except in different directions. We both agreed that glacier is the best of the best and wereboth let down by yellowstone. We talked about how you get nature fatigue, she walked a mile for, as she put it, "oh another arch, great" I can feel her pain it all numbs you a bit. I am not that impressed witht the town of moab, I was thinking of this hippie enclave in the desert with cool bars and whatnot. It is anything from that, it is lined with motels and t-shirt shops. It is in the desert alright, but not as cool as I expected. I did find a great neighborhood bar, Woodys, the bartender was from brooklyn, and we talked about the north east and how different things are here. This is the start of my fourth week and there are a few things I could not live without, first is baby wipes, man those things are great, I am goin to have some at the house, they are great for freshening up, and not showering :). The second is water, especially in the desert, I am glad I have prepared myself for drinking so much, my water drinking skills are needed in this climate. Tomorrow I will get up early and make the nearly 300 mile trip to Cannonville ut, that is where bryce canyon is. From there it is a short rid to Zion np for a few days, then vegas for a little r.r. I have not hung with my cousins since were were in a different age demographic, should be fun. I have found that as the parks get bigger, the people get more distant, or they cant speak english, I long for the days of open and nice people, the people of wisconsin and minnesota. Maybe it is because they dont get out of towners and are more open to have a conversation and a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment